Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Why searching for reviews online is important?


Here is a very interesting story (may be stupid story) for you to think about. Today one of my friend called me and said he was cheated online. He paid Rs600 for a horoscope report from www.aboutastro.com and he did not get it. My first reaction was “What the …!!! six hundred rupees for a useless report?”. I asked him whether he read any reviews before going for the deal? “Well. No!” was his answer.
Ok!! before writing what exactly happened let me share you one of my experience with online reviews. I own a compaq presario v3225au laptop and before buying this I read reviews about this model for atleast 2 months. I also made sure I was not wastin my money by enquiring about this product with others who own it. Once I was happy with my selection I ordered the laptop and so far I am more than happy with its performance.
Now back to the horoscope story. My friend. who is fond of these astrology stuff, decided to get a paid report about his future from aboutastro.com. He tried out their free report and found it true. So he paid them 60$ for a detailed report and he is still waiting for the report. He showed me some of the email from an astrologer named Jenna and it ws pretty interesting. All emails were written as if she was his guardian angel and wants him to realise where he was heading (no wonder he fell for it ).
I thought I will give it a try myself. I signed up for a free report. but this time I gave my emil ID as shobankr+aa@gmail.com. Gmail is very intelligent in delivering all emails to this ID to my original ID shobankr@gmail.com Guess what even before I received my free horoscope report. I started receiving emails from doctors all around the world giving me tips to increase my ***** size ;-) . these guys were also ready to send free viagara to me. And to add more flavour I also won a lottery of 60,000 pounds from UK national lottery. ;-)
I checked the header of all these emails and guess what they were all addressed to shobankr+aa@gmail.com. These guys sold my email ID.
I was 100% sure that aboutastro was nothing but a site owned by a bunch of few idiots who want to earn some quick money.

I did a whois check up for this site and more interesting stuff turned up. The site is registered to some address in France. Did I tell you that these guys had their HO at United States?
Last I did a quick google search for “Jenna horoscope fraud” and landed in a very interesting discussion about this scam!
Atleast I am happy that my friend was not alone ;-)
So next time, before making an online deal, make sure you know about the product completely.


For Further Reading,
Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Recent Posts

Blog Archive